Mole Negro Recipe
Mole Negro is a signature rich black sauce that's specific to the day of the dead celebrations. This rich blend of chocolate and peppers is native to Oaxaca, and has successfully infiltrated the hearts of most people.
Prep time: 50 minutes
Total time: 75 minutes.
- 12 cut pieces of skinned 6 pound chicken
- 5 deveined and seeded chilhuacles negros (keep the seeds)
- 5 deveined and seeded guajillo (reserve the seeds)
- 4 deveined and seeded pasillas Mexicanos (reserve the seeds)
- 4 deveined and seeded anchos negros (reserve the seeds)
- 2 deveined and seeded chipotles mecos (reserve the seeds)
- 1/2 head garlic
- 2 tablespoons of whole almonds
- 2 tablespoons of shelled and skinned peanuts
- 1 (1-inch) piece of Mexican cinnamon
- 3 black peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 tablespoons of sunflower oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of raisins
- 1 slice egg-dough bread
- Half inch of cut small ripe plantain
- 1/2-cup sesame seeds
- 2 pecan; halves
- 1/2 pound chopped of tomatoes
- 1/4 pound chopped of tomatillos
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig Oaxacan oregano
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 4 1/2 ounces Mexican chocolate
- 1 avocado leaf
- Salt, to taste
- 4 large onions; chopped
- 8 ribs celery; chopped
- 8 carrots; chopped
- Bring 5 quarts of water, celery, carrots, and onion to boil. On low heat, add chicken and cook until soft. Strain meat and stock, and reserve the latter.
- Using cast-iron frying pan over medium heat, toast the chiles until black but not burnt. Place in a large bowl and cover with hot water for 10 minutes. Remove the chiles and blend with one quart cup of water. Repeat the same procedure for the almonds, cinnamon, peanuts, and peppercorns. This time around, don't soak in hot water.
- Now, toast the Chile seeds until black and not burnt. Do this in a well-ventilated area to reduce the strong fumes. Soak in cold water for 10 minutes. Drain and blend for 2 minutes. Add to the blended chiles mixture.
- Using a little oil over a medium heat, fry the raisins until they're plump. Try the same for the bread slice, plantain, and sesame seed. For the latter, stir continuously while frying over medium heat. Add pecans and stir until brown. Blend both until smooth.
- Fry tomatillos, thyme, tomatoes, and oregano over medium heat until it's almost dry. Blend with half of the stock. Add the other ingredients - plantains, raisins, pecans, garlic, onions, and nuts until it forms a smooth paste.
- Fry the chiles paste for 20 minutes. When dry, add tomato puree and fry again until it's also dry. Add the ground ingredients and stir continuously for 10 minutes. Add a cup of chicken stock.
- Break the chocolate and add into the Mole Negro. Add more stock and stir until it thickens. Add salt to taste.
- Reheat the cooked chicken with leftover stock. Place it on a plate and pour the mole Negro sauce over it.
Per serving: 613 calories, 19g fat (3g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein.